- Using the Program
- Course Rosters and Student Accounts
- Getting Students Started
- Peer Review
- Helping Students with the Peer Review Tool
- Pre-packaged and Teacher Custom Prompts
- Viewing Individual Student and Class Reports
- Teacher Training Videos
Your Course Home Page
Teachers and students are pre-registered for courses in Utah Compose, and their information is updated nightly. When you log on, you will be on the Home page. The Home page contains Student Writing History, so you can view your student's writing progress.
How to Change Course and Edit Course Name Links
If you have more than one course, the Select a Course page displays all of the courses that are registered to your login credentials.
- To change courses, click on the course name drop-down menu in the left corner of the page.
- You can also change courses by clicking on the Change Course link at the bottom of the page and selecting a different course from the list of your registered courses.
Edit Course Name
You can click on Edit Course Name, also located at the bottom of the page under Helpful Links, to edit the course name, then click Save.
Missing a Course?
If you are missing a course, please contact your school administrator and they will update the information.
At the bottom of each page are links to helpful documents and information.
- Click Guides to view the 2 Stars and a Wish and Peer Review guides.
- Click Rubrics to view PEG's scoring rubrics for the Six Characteristics of Writing and Constructed Response essays, as well as teacher-scored rubrics for textual evidence and content accuracy.
- Click Example Essays to view essays for all genres and grade levels along with explanations relating to their PEG scores.
- Click Help Center to access additional information and support.
- Click Graphic Organizers to download PDF versions of the program's graphic organizers.
- Click Frequently Asked Questions to access answers to common questions regarding the program.
- Click Change Course to view the Select a Course page and choose a different course.
- Click Edit Course Name (for te to change the name of the currently selected course.
- The Registered Courses table lists each course by Course Name, Status, and Course Code, and Grade Level.
- Select All Courses from the Showing drop-down list to see all the courses associated with your account.
- You have unlimited access to courses with an "Active" status. However, access to courses with an "Inactive" or "Closed" status is limited to managing reports.
Student Writing History
- The Student Writing History table includes details about recent student writing activity including the date, student name, prompt name, step in the writing process, scoring status, number of peer reviews requested and received and any messages from the writer.
- Click the Date Link to navigate to the student's Score Report for the specified prompt.
- Click the Messages Link to read and write comments to students within their Score Report.
Accessing the Writing Lessons
Teachers can utilize over 40 interactive lessons as classroom instructional tools for small and large group writing instruction. There are also grammar and passage exercises for student practice.
- To access a lesson, click on the Lessons tab.
- Lessons can be filtered by category and difficulty level.
- Click on the title or thumbnail and follow the instructions within each lesson.
- Click on title to access lesson
- Click here for ideas on how to use the lessons in your classroom.